available Places to Stay in
The Rutland Arms InnManawatu - Wanganui, Wanganui City, Wanganui
Named after the Rutland Stockade which was erected in 1847 on the hill in the centre of Wanganui, the original Rutland Hotel was built in 1849. A colourful history includes two fires destroying the wooden building, which was first rebuilt in 1869, then the present brick building in 1904. This central city hotel has been totally restored and refurbished, retaining the Edwardian architectural features with an old English-style pub downstairs.
Imported English beers are offered with à la carte meals, served by the open fire or in the courtyard café which includes the original well. The upstairs guest accommodation comprises eight bedrooms carefully finished in early-colonial design with ensuite bathrooms and Victorian-style mahogany furniture throughout.
Rates & Bookings
- Chronical Glass - working glass artist 400m walk
- Tram Shed - restored fram from 1900's 500m walk
- River Traders Market - Saturday 9am - 1pm 500m walk
- historic opera house
- Whanganui river and city walks
- historic riverboat centre and cruise
- unique Durie Hill elevator
- art gallery and museum, 500m away
- central city shopping
- Virginia Lake Reserve and Bason Botanic Gardens
- historic Bushy Park homestead
- Mr Ruapehu ski-field, 1.5-hr drive
- Wanganui City and River from Durie Hill
- Waimarie Paddle Steamer
- show Friars listed activities in a radius of 5Km., 30Km., or 60Km. of The Rutland Arms Inn
contact detailsMike and Brigid Hos
48-52 Ridgway Street
(region: Manawatu - Wanganui, Wanganui City, Wanganui)
Postal: P O Box 499, Wanganui
Freephone 0800 RUTLAND (NZ only)
Phone +64-6-347 7677
Fax +64-6-347 7345
Directions: From New Plymouth, take SH 3 to Victoria Ave. Turn left into Ridgway St. Inn on corner. From Wellington take SH 3, or from Ohakune take SH 4 to Victoria Ave. Turn right into Ridgway St.
This is a static map as our interactive ones slow down our website. To load the interactive version, just click the map. New your setting is not known
add a search...
find location already shown
- no searches listed yet
Create directions using markers on the map itself. You can do this by selecting one as a starting point and another as a destination marker. Using right-mouse-click (CTRL + click on a Apple Mac), you can also create your own markers - which maybe useful in creating your own routes.